Please meet: Ran Cohen Harounoff
Director of Early Childhood Education
Ran lives near Jerusalem with his wife and three children. He holds a Master’s degree in Education from Ben Gurion University, where he specialized in curricula and teaching. More recently, at the Ofek Institute in Tel Aviv, he studied Organizational Consulting and Development using a psychoanalytical- systemic approach. His earned his B.Ed. in Early Childhood Education at the David Yellin Academic College of Education in Jerusalem.
Working with the Dept. of Preschool Education in the Ministry of Education to implement the “Second Assistant” reform, including professional development of all the preschool inspectors in Israel.
Leading change in early childhood education in the Ministries of Education in developing countries (Ghana and Liberia) in conjunction with the Dept. of International Cooperation of Israel’s Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
Establishing the Noah’s Ark project together with Prof. Dov Frohman, winner of the Israel Prize and founder of Intel Israel, to promote groundbreaking ways of thinking in young children.
Leading an innovative model in all preschools in the city of Ramat Gan entitled “This preschool is me”.
Establishing a diploma study track: “Preschool educators in the spirit of democratic education” in conjunction with Seminar Hakibbutzim College.
Establishing an ECE study track for young girls at risk in conjunction with the ELEM Association.
Leading a process of municipal change in ECE in the cities of Holon, Tel Aviv, Bat-Yam and Netanya.
Conferences & lectures:
‘Early childhood educators are building the world of tomorrow’, Seminar Hakibbutzim College
‘Learning in Tomorrow’s Preschool’ – Project Based Learning in Preschool’ Conference, Ramat Gan
- Gideon Levin Conference on Early Childhood, Mofet Institute, Tel Aviv
- Annual Conference of Local Authority Education Dept. Directors, Dead Sea
- Conference on Preschool Architecture and the Shaping of the Coming Generations, Shenkar College
At Mandel Institute for Educational Leadership, Ran was part of a team that assist Ms. Aliza Olmert and the “Good Start” program to establish a multi-purpose center for early childhood in East Jerusalem. In addition, he was also part of the senior training staff team for inspectors and principals working to create a guideline document for supervision of alternative schools in Israel.
His first education initiative, launched in 1992, was “Ran’s Preschool” in which he set up and managed a chain of alternative preschools in Jerusalem.
Ran is a man of creativity and vision. In his spare time he writes children’s books, some of which have been turned into successful plays, as shown below:
Books for children and toddlers
- No more diapers! Ma’ariv Press ( best-seller, republished in 2011 by Keter Publishing)
- It’s my birthday. Ma’ariv Press
- Mitzi. Sifriat Poalim (co-authored with Miri Rosovsky) – twice included in the Ministry of Education Book Parade.
- That’s mine! Ma’ariv Press
- Hanneke & Fiet – a story of real friendship. Keter Publishing
- The Tree House Kids. Hatav Hashmini Press
- The Treehouse Children – in collaboration with Yaya Cohen Harounoff. Hatav Hashmini Press
- Preschool children – from a democratic perspective to a city of education. (The Institute of Democratic Education).
- The 21st century preschool (Hed Hagan [Preschool Echo]).
- You and I will change the world – Preschoolers moving from passivity to leading change (co-authored with Dr. Anat Porat) Ministry of Education
- Hanneke & Fiet – Mediatech Theater, Holon (adaptation – Lior Garti, direction – Noam Shmuel)
- The Tree House Kids – Mediatech Theater, Holon (adaptation – Noa Keynan Lazar direction – Noam Shmuel)